Antifreeze and pets don’t mix!

a-722-antifreeze-poisoning

Most people are unaware of the danger to pets from antifreeze poisoning.

It tastes very sweet and if they find it, our furry friends are inclined to lick it. Ingesting the smallest amount can cause kidney failure and death, especially in cats and even dogs.

As the temperatures drop and we reach to top up our levels, here are a few tips to stay safe and also what to do if you suspect your pet has been poisoned.

Keep pets safe

Accidental poisonings from spills/leaks, as well as leaking water coolant from cars happen every year, leading to pet death. Regularly check your car to ensure it isn’t leaking water coolant. Take care storing, using and disposing of antifreeze and water coolant. Most accidental deaths are avoidable.

  • Always keep antifreeze in clearly labelled, robust, sealed containers, away from pets and their environment.
  • Clean up spills immediately, no matter how small. Ensure pets cannot access the area until it’s clean and safe.
  • Always dispose of antifreeze and water coolant safely and responsibly. Or you could bring it to us when you next visit and we’ll get rid of it safely for you.

If you suspect antifreeze poisoning

If you suspect your pet’s come into contact with antifreeze, leaked water coolant or if showing any of these symptoms get them to a vet immediately:

  • Vomiting
  • Seeming depressed/sleepy
  • Appearing drunk and uncoordinated
  • Seizures (fits)
  • Difficulty breathing

Signs of antifreeze poisoning can show 30 minutes after ingestion. It can be two/three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.


The sooner your pet receives veterinary treatment, the better their chances of survival.

If left untreated, antifreeze poisoning can cause pain, suffering and distress and ultimately death.

 

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/cats/health/poisoning/antifreeze